Soma Capital is a fund built by founders, for founders. Soma invests in brilliant teams who are “starving” to solve huge problems, push civilization forward and improve the human condition.
Soma is founded by Aneel Ranadive, who has over 10 years experience building and investing in startups. Aneel is often the earliest if not very first money in with a focus on software in consumer and enterprise. Aneel has seeded the likes of Cruise, Rappi, Embarktrucks, Astranis, Lambda School, Ironclad, Atrium, Razorpay, Alto Pharmacy, and Lendup among others. Soma Capital portfolio companies have a combined valuation of over $30bn, with over $10bn in follow on capital invested after Soma’s initial seed checks.
Aneel works with his father Vivek Ranadive, founder of Tibco Software which sold for $4.3bn to Vista. Tibco originally digitized Wall Street and powers 80% of Fortune 500 companies including many of the largest banks, airlines, retailers, hotels, casinos, and government services. Soma Capital has a deep rolodex of CEO-level relationships with some of the biggest brands in the world and makes strategic introductions for portfolio companies. Ranadive also owns the Sacramento Kings NBA team providing many influencer relationships in sports, media and entertainment. In addition to connections with athletes through the NBA network, the top artists in the world perform at Ranadive’s “Golden 1” arena from Lady Gaga to Ariana Grande, Jay Z, Travis Scott, Paul McCartney etc.
Soma Capital’s anchor investor is Bow Capital. Soma invests seed stage, then Bow Capital can invest Series A and beyond. Soma and Bow are backed by the UC endowment, which is the largest school endowment in the world ($120bn) and gives Soma Capital access to UC labs, professors, research facilities and over 22k graduating engineers per year to help portfolio co’s with hiring. Bow Capital gives Soma many resources to win seed deals and add value along the full trajectory from seed to growth stage.
Soma Capital is seeking to hire an investment associate to both help manage the existing portfolio, and also identify later stage follow-on investment opportunities from the portfolio.
- 2 years of relevant experience in investment banking, consulting, venture capital, or private equity
- Current MBA candidate at top 10 program
- Undergraduate degree in technology or finance related field
- Excellent quantitative analysis, finance and business modeling skills (with an emphasis on valuation and corporate finance skills), strong transactional experience, and an outstanding record of professional achievement
- Motivated, hard-working team player, able to work in a small team setting
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with proven ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships
- Self-starter with strong work ethic
- Passion for and working knowledge of technology-enabled businesses
- Analyze internal Soma data to better portray the Soma Capital track record, story, and narrative to limited partners
- Follow up with existing portfolio companies and add value through formulating financial and operating models for these founders
- Perform industry / sector and company analysis, and company due diligence
- Build investment cases for specific companies, writing investment memos and presenting opportunities
- Support deal negotiation, winning the deal and closing
- Create quarterly reports for our LP’s updating them on all portfolio company performance as well as any additional learnings or insights and what they should be excited about for the future of the portfolio