Soma Capital is a fund built by founders, for founders. Soma invests in brilliant teams who are “starving” to solve huge problems, push civilization forward and improve the human condition.
Soma is founded by Aneel Ranadive, who has over 10 years experience building and investing in startups. Aneel is often the earliest if not very first money in with a focus on software in consumer and enterprise. Aneel has seeded the likes of Cruise, Rappi, Embarktrucks, Astranis, Lambda School, Ironclad, Atrium, Razorpay, Alto Pharmacy, and Lendup among others. Soma Capital portfolio companies have a combined valuation of over $30bn, with over $10bn in follow on capital invested after Soma’s initial seed checks.
Aneel works with his father Vivek Ranadive, founder of Tibco Software which sold for $4.3bn to Vista. Tibco originally digitized Wall Street and powers 80% of Fortune 500 companies including many of the largest banks, airlines, retailers, hotels, casinos, and government services. Soma Capital has a deep rolodex of CEO-level relationships with some of the biggest brands in the world and makes strategic introductions for portfolio companies. Ranadive also owns the Sacramento Kings NBA team providing many influencer relationships in sports, media and entertainment. In addition to connections with athletes through the NBA network, the top artists in the world perform at Ranadive’s “Golden 1” arena from Lady Gaga to Ariana Grande, Jay Z, Travis Scott, Paul McCartney etc.
Soma Capital’s anchor investor is Bow Capital. Soma invests seed stage, then Bow Capital can invest Series A and beyond. Soma and Bow are backed by the UC endowment, which is the largest school endowment in the world ($120bn) and gives Soma Capital access to UC labs, professors, research facilities and over 22k graduating engineers per year to help portfolio co’s with hiring. Bow Capital gives Soma many resources to win seed deals and add value along the full trajectory from seed to growth stage.
Soma Capital is seeking to hire a Chief of Staff to work directly with Aneel Ranadive, Soma’s Founder and Managing Director. This is a rare and unique opportunity for someone who wants to learn the ins and outs of early stage investing.
- Relentlessly curious, resourceful and highly willing to dive into all aspects of venture capital; resilient and able to adapt quickly to changing workflows
- Low ego, humble and excited about working in an entrepreneurial, startup environment
- Motivated, hard-working team player, able to work effectively in a small team setting
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with proven ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter with strong work ethic
- Passion for and working knowledge of technology-enabled businesses
- Excellent quantitative analysis, finance and business modeling skills (with an emphasis on valuation and corporate finance skills), strong transactional experience, and an outstanding record of professional and academic achievement is a plus
- Relevant experience in investment banking, consulting, venture capital, or private equity is a plus
- Work directly with Aneel (Founder and Managing Partner) on core fundraising initiatives, investment opportunities and strategic initiatives across the firm
- Lead sourcing and outreach to potential investment prospects and founders
- Cultivate and manage relationships with limited partners and founders within the portfolio and broader network
- Launch and organize special projects and events to support the portfolio, brand, co-investors, limited partners, and early stage founders across the ecosystem
- Synthesize research, news articles and white papers on the venture capital industry as a whole
- Manage all email, Zoom, and in person communications
- Generally act as the right hand person for Aneel, including optimizing his calendar, sending pre-meeting notes to help him prepare and flagging important tasks